Makes 4-6 servings; 10 minutes to prepare.
- 10-12 ounce bag fresh spinach leaves, rinsed
- 19-ounce can (2 cups) chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1-2 lemons, juiced (or 3-5 Tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
Put spinach in a saucepan with no additonal water (save that left on leaves from rinsing); stir and cook on low just until wilted. OR, if bag gives steam-in-bag directions, put bag in microwave (do not open or even pierce!) and steam for about 3 minutes, just until wilted.
Drain spinach in collander, pressing to get rid of as much water as possible. Chop both spinach and red bell pepper finely and put in bowl. A food processor makes this an even faster job. Add remaining ingredients, stir, and serve immediately or chill. May be made several days in advance, as it keeps well.
Serve as is, or stuffed in pita bread. Goes well served with grapes. Goes particularly well served with Cosmopolitans.
Recipe adapted from one attributed to Padma Lakshmi.